A list of post-surgery instructions should be given to dental implant patients. It is important to describe all post surgery home care instructions for the patients to follow.
It is important to follow the directions during the first 2 weeks after the operation to insure adequate healing.
1. Do not rinse your mouth vigorously during the first 24 hours after the operation.
2. Use ice packs over the surgical area for 20 minutes at a time, during the first 2 days after the operation.
3. If nose bleeding starts, do not blow your nose vigorously.
4. Maintain a liquid diet for the first 5 days after the operation. Do not smoke or consume alcoholic beverages during the first week.
5. Two weeks after the operation, begin a soft diet and restrict smoking and alcoholic consumption.
6. Use an elevates head rest or an extra pillow for the first 2 nights after the operation.
7. If bleeding begins in the surgical area, apply gentle pressure to the area by biting on a roll of gauze for 1 hour. If bleeding does not stop, please contact Dr. _______.
8. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with a salt water rinse or prescribed mouth rinse after every meal.
9. Do not use prosthesis until it has been relined.
10. Follow the directions carefully for any prescribed medications.
11. If you have any questions or any problems related to the healing of your operation, please contact Dr. _______.